When you can’t stop picking your face. August 2021 at OLEANDER AESTHETICS
We're all guilty squeezing at one time or another! Popping a big, juicy pimple can sometimes be too hard to resist, and it is normal for people to occasionally pluck, pick and squeeze their skin.
But for some people this behavior is indicative of a mental issue, and the excessive picking begins to cause scarring, infection, disfigurement… and worst of all, excess shame and humiliation.
For anyone with this problem, the embarrassment and emotional pain their skin causes them can be overwhelming. People with this disorder tend to try to hide the effects of their picking.
This illness is called Dermatillomania and there are thousands (perhaps millions) of people out there who suffer in silence. They meet these criteria:
- Picking happens on any part of the body or in a combination of places.
- Picking is usually preceded by an intense urge to fix the spot. The urge becomes the focus of attention until relief is found by acting on the urge.
- The picking often happens in a trance-like state and in severe cases, a person can spend several hours a day performing the actions associated with trying to smooth out or remove all the problem spots.
- The picking is almost always followed by a feeling of guilt, shame and regret about the damage done to the skin.
- The picker cannot help themselves from continuing this destructive behavior.
There is help and methods used to treat this condition.
- Natural Remedies
- Cognitive-behavior therapy/Medication
- Online Dermatillomania Support Groups.
See you soon,
-Emma at OLEANDER AESTHETICS
Product of the Month
Mandelic Face and Body Wash
Mandelic Face and Body Wash is a multi-faceted gel cleanser that gently exfoliates and brightens the look of the skin. It contains chirally correct L-Mandelic Acid which helps smooth the skin and improve the appearance of dark spots. This sulfate-free gel cleanser is appropriate for normal or oily skin types.
OUT OF THE STUDIO
Heads up! Oleander Aesthetics will be closed September 20-30th. Be sure to reach out for your product pick-ups and get your appointments before and after these dates scheduled as they will book up quickly. Thanks so much!